Sunday, October 25, 2015

Devotion 351 - cray cray


I was sitting in the dining room, computer at my fingertips and silence as my companion.  It was a beautiful thing. I knew dinner time was coming but I was fully engaged writing and preparing for a Ladies event.

I was so close to done I could taste it.  My hope was to finish and then move on to dinner preparations.  One child came upstairs and then another; all of them singing the same tune about hunger.  I wanted to pretend I could multi task to make dinner and write at the same time but it was a fool’s errand.
I quickly put the soup on the stove and instructed my youngest son and youngest daughter to set the table. These two when combined have a rhythm all their own.  Beau instructed and Ava obeyed.  It was a beautiful thing to watch.
I was listening as Beau asked for bowls, then spoons, then cups then tea.  Part of my mind with the children, part with my work.  I wished I could finish my work or give myself the freedom to finish later, but that is not how I am made.

I am a list maker and job finisher and I excused my absence from the meal preparation in that I was preparing something needed for an event just days away.  Somehow it felt as if I was doing something wrong.  I should be the one setting the table, stirring the soup, pouring the tea.

I had given in to the work at hand, and seemingly forced the household into child labor.  Sometimes giving yourself fully to something leaves another cup empty, but I persevered. 

I heard Beau tell Ava the table was finished.  I felt the overwhelming pressure to log off and log in to life in the kitchen but for another minute I delayed.

My daughter asked her brother, “Why did Jesus die on the cross ?”

Beau, seemingly not surprised by the question replied, “He had to so that you and I and all of us could go to heaven.”  

I looked in the kitchen at Ava paused in thought.  Her head now shaking, she seemed to understand the weight of Beau’s answer.  “Wow,”  she replied, “that is completely cray cray!” 

Beau, holding Ava’s blossoming faith in his hands added, “It is Ava, that’s Jesus, cray cray for us.”

I looked at my screen; I had been writing about passion.  Passion for the pursuit God has placed on our lives.  Strange how when I started to write, I was sure the women hearing my words would have the same imaginations as me.  Perhaps we are called to a bigger, better ministry somewhere in this world. 

I had just finished typing the statistics.  You know the ones.  They tell us there are people thirsty, hungry and impoverished.  There are children without parents and parents without hope.  And we pause and wonder what God has for us in this conundrum of seeming inequality.

Then I hear a 13-year old preacher, preaching to his 5-year old parishioner and I realize the greatest mission field I will ever have is within the four walls of my home. 

It is not glamorous, it does not pay exceptionally well, but its dividends are more than my heart can hold or my mind can imagine. Paul writes to Timothy to work at telling others the Good News, and fully carry out the ministry God has given you.  (2 Timothy 4:5b)

I divide myself into a dozen pieces each day giving myself fully to none, but seeking for the next thing or a better thing or an easier or less costly road.  He has lent me cups that I must fill with truth such that they can be truth tellers to others. 
I must tell them that the world is dark, and to it we carry light. The world is confused, and to it we carry truth. The world is fearful, to it we carry courage. The world is dying, to it we carry life. Our calling is simple, it is the relentless reflecting of Jesus in the place where we stand, sleep and serve.
He does not ask us to multitask.  He asks us to serve in our kitchens, in our churches, on our sidewalks and in our lives.  To pour ourselves out fully in the life He has given us.

We are to walk in freedom, not freedom bought by a soldier’s blood but by our Savior’s.  To fully serve, I must freely give and fearlessly live.  I want to live cray cray for Him, because that is exactly how He loves me.




No comments:

Post a Comment