Sunday, August 16, 2015

Devotion 341 - Guests


There was a certain sparkle in her eye and an unmistakable skip to her step.
Ava and I were to be alone for two days. 

We had just moved our eldest back to college.  The middlers and daddy would be off on a church camping trip.

I had started the list of the things we could do with two days all to ourselves when friends texted that their son would be available for a play date.

Ava radiated at the thought.
It was nothing really; a play date, not what I planned at first but perfect in every way.  Isn’t that often the way with the best of things, the things that line up in opposite order of how we planned; it is like having dessert first.  I am learning to love when that happens.

All throughout the day she waxed poetic about all the things they would do.  She is 5, our guest 9.  I cautioned her that he might not love little ponies and pretend cupcakes.

But our friend did not disappoint.
He arrived and the festivities began.
Shortly into the fun, I posed a question to Ava.

I cannot remember what I asked.  It had something to do with plans I thought I might squeeze in on their special time. Ava turned and unequivocally responded,  “We need to ask my friend,” she said, “He is the guest of honor.”
 I smiled waiting for a giggle from her but she was completely serious.  It was as if I had opened a L.M. Montgomery novel so was her formality and sincerity.  She repeated the words to her guest and indeed let him choose practically everything that unfolded for the rest of the evening.  It was extraordinary.

I felt sheepish how elegant her gifts of hospitality actually were. 
I stole away more than once and watched the moments unfold. 
She would suggest, her guest would agree or disagree and Ava would respond with approval.

Their busyness allowed me an unexpected treasure of moments to reflect. I had mentally recorded a thousand ways I could entertain these children.  Instead, it was I that was entertained …..more dessert.
The words, “guest of honor” played over and over again in my heart like a sweet after taste. So often I consider myself the hostess of my life, when truly I or actually we Beloved, are the guests of honor.
The Word calls us “sojourners” and “strangers.”  
We are travelling through.  Perhaps we are not meant to stay, not meant to hold anything too tightly such that our grip on truth and righteousness would loosen.

The Father calls this our “temporary residence.”  Yet have I not lost sleep over mortgage payments and furniture arrangements?
He calls our time here a “shadow.”  Yet how often do I ponder the source of the light that casts this shadow?  A shadow indicates it is following something, but how often do I race to lead?

I am not a good follower.  Perhaps I am not even a good guest.
When I wake in the morning, do I consider what has been done to me or FOR me?
 When I look out the windows as the mist welcomes the morning sun, do I ponder the majesty or question the weather?
When I look at my children do I pause and worry or do I praise and wonder?
These gifts, these glorious gifts that rain down each and every day, do I consider them mine or do I remember they are His, the Creator and Host of life. 
These gifts are here for us to savor so that we might taste His glory.

I get it wrong Beloved.
I get so busy menu planning and life organizing; I completely forget I am the guest.

It is He that has invited me.
He was here all along; it was I that was blinded by control and shaded by self sufficiency.

I run so quickly after the next thing, I never stop to look at the first thing.  The table, the table that is miraculously set before me to taste the wonders of this life and smell the aroma of His presence.
 I order sweet and then grumble when the bitter is offered.  Yet, is it not the bitter that causes us to know sweet?
And without tears, would we know savory?

There is a glorious transaction that takes place when we lift our hands in surrender. 
Our hands are still. 

They are immobile to the whims of the world and we can hold His design for our life.

It is said that man cannot be happy unless he hungers after holiness.
Do we? 

Our hands must be empty, our hearts hungry and our souls must remember the Host.
 We are here for only a moment, visitors and strangers in the land as our ancestors were before us. Our days on earth are like a passing shadow, gone so soon without a trace.
1 Chronicles 29:15

No comments:

Post a Comment